Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Controlling the Voice




Today I finally had time to run outside for more than two miles. I did three and a half, but let me tell you it was difficult. Halfway through and I kept saying to myself, "You cannot finish this." I'm not sure why, but I always seem to have this inner voice telling me I am not good enough to get the job done. Whatever the reason is for the negative voice, I know I am not the only runner who deals with this.


It truly is a struggle to keep running when you already cannot breathe because the air is frigid, your muscles are screaming, and you have this stupid voice telling you that you cannot finish. I don't care how hard it is to shut that voice up, YOU HAVE TO! If you don't then you really will not finish.

Here's what I do to 'control' that voice: first you turn your music all the way up, lift your head up, and tell yourself you can finish this run. Usually once I pick my head up, I can run faster and stronger. Once again, your form comes into play here. If you slouch when you run, most likely you will just keep thinking about how much this run sucks. Stay positive, keep good form, and tell yourself it is all worth it at the end when you feel 100% better, healthier, and more alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment